I created this blog to chronicle our journey with Shakib, a 17-year old Afghan high school student who is living with my husband and me for the 2010-2011 school year. As my blog title suggests, I expect this experience to forever change us -- an Irish Catholic woman, a Jewish man, and our Muslim "son." In fact, I expect it to change everything.

Monday, August 16, 2010

"Get the Vans!"

On Saturday we shopped.

Well, first Jon and I got up early to meet our Team In Training group at the Rose Bowl for a run. We are training for the Honolulu Marathon in December.

We left Shakib at home with no mishaps. He simply ate his leftover pizza cold. Haven't we all? However, the cold pizza became the impetus for a microwave lesson.

Then we assessed his wardrobe. He was only allowed 1 suitcase and like young people the world over, some of his packing choices were a bit imbalanced -- 3 sets of pajamas, 1 pair of boxers.

In addition to spending money for incidentals, he also receives a modest clothing allowance. We set up a "teen" bank account and cashed his stipend check. Having heard horror stories of overspending, we declined the debit card and set up safeguards so that we control the account.

Our first stop at the mall was in the food court where we lunched on Chinese food. Then we hit the sale at JC Penny where we selected basics like socks, underwear, jeans and polo shirts (his school uniform code mandates collared shirts in specific colors).

I insisted that he purchase a bathing suit. Shakib chose a solid-colored, knee-length blue suit and modeled it for us. He seemed a bit embarrassed wearing it, but I stood firm.  This is Southern California…water, water everywhere. He will start swimming lessons this month. I want him to be water safe as soon as possible.

The last item on our list was tennis shoes. When we got to the shoe department, I realized that I needed expert advice so I called my older sister Jennifer. I knew that my fashionista niece and nephew -- Brenna 13 and Trevor 16 -- were with her. In fact, the family was driving through San Francisco in sight of the Golden Gate Bridge when she answered.

I explained what I was doing, and Jen asked the kids what brand of shoes were cool. The response from Trev and Brenna was unambiguous -- "Get the Vans!"

So we did.

And yes, Shakib looks uber-cool in his new shoes.

2 comments:

Good Morning My People! said...

This is sooooo fantastic that we see again,
teenager is a teenager! no matter what your beliefs or backgrounds are, the Mall is the greatest thing of all!:)
I love to follow your guys journey and as you know your life will never be the same again!:)

life honored said...

I am thrilled to follow you journey. I have spent a great deal of time in the middle east and love the people. I am sure this time together will alter everyone. Thank you for your generous sharing.