I created this blog to chronicle our journey with Shakib, a 17-year old Afghan high school student who is living with my husband and me for the 2010-2011 school year. As my blog title suggests, I expect this experience to forever change us -- an Irish Catholic woman, a Jewish man, and our Muslim "son." In fact, I expect it to change everything.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

"I can't smell that"

Every year, most of the world's 1.5 billion Muslims observe Ramadan - the month of fasting.

"Ramadan is the name of the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar and is the most respected and blessed month of the Islamic year....Participating Muslims abstain from food, drink and intimate relations with their spouses from dawn until sunset. They also refrain from impure or immoral actions, thoughts and words. Fasting is meant to purify the soul, refocus one’s attention on Allah (God), and teach the person patience, sacrifice and humility. Ramadan is a time to fast for the sake of Allah (God), to increase one’s prayers and acts of charity, as well as to place greater attention on self-accountability and self-restraint." [Excerpted from Ramadan in America by Imam Mohamad Bashar Arafat.]

This year Ramadan started on August 11 and will continue until September 10. Guess what that means? That's right. Shakib is fasting. Every day. From dawn until sunset.

Muslims do not have to fast while traveling.  In addition, he chose not to fast during his first 48 hours here so he could adjust to the time zone, eat, hydrate and recover from that long trip. He will, however, have to make up the missed days.

So early Monday morning Shakib began his official observance of the holy month.

I too arose at 4:15 a.m. in what I thought was plenty of time to prepare and serve a large breakfast. I assumed that he had to finish eating before sunrise and I had looked up the time online.

Not so. Shakib has to stop eating at first light. As the first glimmers of daylight filtered through the dining room window, our first parent-child tug of war commenced -- with Mom coaxing him to eat some more and Shakib succumbing for a few more bites, then firmly ending the meal.

I respect his beliefs and his commitment. At the same time, I knew that we were in for a rough day.

Shakib had an English assessment scheduled with the school district at 1:00 pm. On our way there, he reported that he felt dizzy. After the test, he came home and napped until dinner. I was out last night, but Jon fed him a big meal. Then he prepared himself for today's adventure.

I arrived home at 12:30 am to a note in my office proclaiming: "The Prince arises at 3:40 am. Breakfast is served at 3:45 am." I love my husband.

Shakib got plenty to eat and drink this morning with Jon pushing the fluids and the foodstuffs. Today went much smoother, and Shakib was strong enough to spend the evening with friends of our family - Doris, Joseph, and their teenage son, John - where he got his first taste of virtual Rock Band - playing electric bass on a simulator.

Of course, new details keep emerging.

On our way to Doris and Joseph's, we picked up a large urn of freshly made coffee for the United Nations Association "Coffee Talk" on Haiti that Jon was coordinating tonight. That's when Shakib announced, "I can't smell that. It will break my fast. My imam in Kabul told me."

What to do? Shakib covered his nose and rolled down the window until we reached our destination.

Does that mean it will be a problem for him if I throw a roast in the oven or simmer something smelly on the stove tomorrow?  Perhaps.

Stay tuned for new developments. Only 24 days until Eid.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey MO -

I anxiously await all of your installments and hope to meet The Prince soon enough. Thanks so much for sharing your adventure and thanks for the difference you're making in this young mans life. God (or Allah) only knows the impact it will have on the world over.

Love,
Steve

Maureen Charles said...

Thanks, Steve!