I created this blog to chronicle our journey with Shakib, a 17-year old Afghan high school student who is living with my husband and me for the 2010-2011 school year. As my blog title suggests, I expect this experience to forever change us -- an Irish Catholic woman, a Jewish man, and our Muslim "son." In fact, I expect it to change everything.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Buff 'N' Tough

“Bodybuilding,” said Shakib.

“Bodybuilding? Really?” I asked.

“Yes, lifting weights. It is very popular in my country, and it is my favorite sport.”

“Not cricket? Not buzkashi? Not soccer?”

“No, bodybuilding.”

Looking at Shakib’s slight frame, I had my doubts. But I was impressed with his determination so we agreed to locate an appropriate gym for his after school workouts. At least he knew better than to take up weightlifting during Ramadan.

Why bodybuilding? 

Is it because…

    a)  Shakib admires Arnold Schwarzenneger and Sylvester Stallone?  
    b)  He wants to appear strong and able to hold his own in the streets of Kabul? 

    c)  Some of the Afghan girls teased him about being skinny, and he wants to put on some weight before he sees them again?
    d)  All of the above?

It’s d...all of the above.

Shakib’s favorite American movies are Rambo I, II, III, and IV. And he has already inquired as to the likelihood of meeting Sly, or perhaps the Governator, while he is here.

He has also spoken candidly about the mean streets of Kabul where boys are kidnapped and sold every day. In his country, it is prudent to be buff and tough.

Deciding that the YMCA within walking distance of his school was a wholesome choice, we arranged for a partial scholarship for Shakib. In his eagerness to bulk up quickly, he overdid it on the first day. Too many reps with too much weight left his arms stiff and sore. Of course, it didn't help that he also carried around a 5-pound Algebra book in a loaded backpack all week.

When we asked Shakib how he had determined how much weight to lift, we discovered that he had consulted his friends. So much for Plan A. Shakib now has an appointment with a trainer to design a sensible plan for his workouts...and he gets to leave his algebra book at home.

Shakib has asked a lot of questions about what he should eat to build muscle. Given his zeal, we will be vigilant about shortcuts, i.e. steroids.

On his first day, a big culture shock awaited Shakib in the locker room. “The men were naked,” he told us. Afghani standards for male modesty are very different from US norms, and Shakib acknowledged that he had never seen an unclothed man.

“Well now you have.” I said.

“Oh, no,” he said. “I looked away.”

No comments: